When It Rains, It Pours

I’ve been at my internship for approximately seven weeks and I think it’s time to move on. I got offered a 6-8 week temporary Web Editor/Producer position at a long-running but not as well known magazine. I am supposed to start on October 1st, which is less than two weeks away, so I had to make my decision ASAP.

Temp. Web Editor pros

pays 3x as much as my internship

– better title

– another connection, especially in terms of pitching story ideas in the future

Cons

– only 6-8 weeks

– will be leaving bigger title for smaller title

– not in my direct genre

Internship pros

– nationally recognized title

– in direct genre

– flexible schedule

Internship Cons

– really bad pay

– not really learning anything

– no direct contact with editors

– no near chance of getting hired

I had an incident with a freelance editor yesterday that really got me down. I broke a sample for the gift guide story I’m assisting with. I showed the editor and made sure to take the blame for it. She seemed pissed off, but didn’t really say much to me. Then, 20 minutes later, she made the other editorial interns and I come into her office and had the internship coordinator lecture us on how pack properly, while singling me out and totally embarrassing me in front of my co-workers. I won’t go into the details, but it was very effin unprofessional and made me want to quit then and there. This is my third internship and I’ve never had an experience like this before. The editor should have definitely handled it better.

It’s just ironic that this job offer came through today when I felt totally hopeless and was starting to get scared that I’d stay an intern forever. When I compare my resume to others, I have smaller names on it and I blame myself for not interning earlier on in my college career. I am glad to get this huge name on my resume, but to demote myself from EA to intern was a very humbling process.

While this temp. web editor position is yet another small title, the experience should be great and I’m not bound to it. I should be done with the project by mid November and hopefully I will have another opportunity in the works. If worse comes to worse, I can always go back to my internship, because my coordinator did mention that she would love to have me in case this position didn’t work out.

I am still waiting on one other full-time opportunity. It’s very close to my dream job, so I will definitely take it if I get it.

It’s just nice to know that I have other options besides being an intern in the near future.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s